Communities : Wingham Village : History : Descriptions of Wingham

Wingham Village
Wingham Village | Buildings | Business | Community | Geographic | History | People  | Roads 

Descriptions of Wingham

Extracts from Wingham: A Kentish Village reproduced by permission of the Wingham Local History Society
(1) 1758 "The people of Wingham are in general well disposed and I know not of any who prefers to disregard Religion or who commonly absent themselves from public worship on the Lord's Day"   The Vicar
 
(2) Extract from Samuel Bagshaw's Directory, 1847  
In 1841 there were 246 houses and a population of 1125 souls; population in 1801, 844; rateable value £7,500. Sir Henry Oxenden, Bart., is Lord of the Manor, besides whom Earl Cooper, John Pemberton Plumptre, Esq., M.P., Sir Brooke Bridges, Bart., John Dadds, Esq., and the Marchioness of Conyingham are the principal landowners. The Church dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome fabric with nave, side aisles, and three chancels; the whole has an elegant appearance, and the windows were formerly richly ornamented with stained glass. The tithes were commuted for £1335. The Independents have a neat chapel in the village erected in 1839 by the late Samuel Elgar Toomer at a cost of £1000. The School is a commodious building which will accommodate 130 children. There is also an infant school, a wooden building, which is numerously attended. Both the schools are supported by voluntary contributions.  

Fairs, for cattle, are held on May 12th and November 12th.

Wingham Well is a hamlet 1/2 a mile South West from Wingham. It is noted for its well of pure water, from which the village is supplied.  
Post Office, John Peal, Postmaster. Letters arrive at 30 minutes past 5 a.m.  and are despatched at 30 minutes past 8 p.m.
Inns and Taverns Beerhouses (6) Coopers
Anchor, Hart Sandcroft Harris, Clement
Dog, HenryMoon
Farmers Butchers> Blacksmith
James Elgar, Wm. Elgar   Pettit, John   Butler , W
Geo. Harris, R. Holness Pryor, John , G. 
Leonard Laslett, R. Laslett,   Sweetlove, J
R. Matson, E. Mepsted,,   Tailor
W. Minter, S. Nicholas,   Denne, John Linen Maker
E. Rymer, J. Ringden,   Larkin, W  
T. Turner   Linen Drapers  
Coleman, John Watch & Clockmaker
Jeffry, Jas.

 

(3) Extract from Kelly's Directory, 1907
... The Drill Hall of the Ist Volunteer Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) was formerly a Wesleyan Chapel. Sir Percy D.N. Dixwell­Oxenden, Bart., who is Lord of the Manor, Lady Desborough, and Henry Fitzwalter Plumptre, Esq., of Goodnestone, are the chief landowners.  
Rateable value of the area, £6,588. The population in 1901 was 1,233. The Vicar: The Rev. Joseph Makinson- Fox B.A.  Sexton: Charles William Hogben.  
Post Office: William Edward Coleman, Sub Postmaster. Letters arrive from Dover at 4.35a.m. and 1.0 and 4.30p.m. and are delivered at 7a.m. and lp.m. Letter-box at Fire Engine House cleared at and 1.30 and 8p.m
Volunteer Fire Brigade Engine Station next door to the Red Lion Hotel. JW. Robinson, Captain.  
Volunteers. Ist Volunteer Battalion The Buffs. Rev. S.G.H. Sargent, Commanding Officer and Acting Chaplain.  
Elementary School for Boys (under the control of the County Council). There are 92 boys; average attendance, 88. Girls and infants, 139 children.  
Conveyances: Luck's omnibus, Eastry to Canterbury ; Ralph's omnibus, Sandwich to Canterbury. Hood's omnibus, Wingham to Canterbury