Communities : Wingham Village : History : Archaeology

Wingham Village
Wingham Village | Buildings | Business | Community | Geographic | History | People  | Roads 

The Archaeology of Wingham

Drainage Trench | Roman Villa

 
Reports on excavations carried out in the area can be found in volumes of the Archceologia CantianaThe most famous were carried out in the field known as The Vineyard where a fine example of a Roman Villa  was unearthed by Gorge Dowker F.G.S on July 22, 1881. The building was re-excavated by Frank Jenkins, M.A., Ph.D., F.S.A. in 1966.
Artifacts dating from 2400BC (Neolithic) through to 18/1900AD were found in a Drainage Trench dug in 1955 
Dowker (Arch. Cant., xiv -1882)1 mentions other finds  including 
"... a roadway of faggots, leading across the Marsh to Little Briton, and constituting part of the road from Richborough to Canterbury" discovered by Mr. J. B. Sheppard.
A "Saxon burial-place" beside the Wingham to Staple road at Withesrden Hall which was opened by  Lord Londesborough and Mr. Ackerman.
A "Roman burial-place" discovered at Dearson by Dowker himself and described in Archceologia Cantiana xii
"...a chest or coffin of large thick stones joined together, and covered with one on the top." (Hasted, History of Kent, vol ii., p. 700)2 This was struck by a plough in the Vineyard in 1710 and contained some black ashes. 
 
 1   Archaeologica Cantiana is published by Kent Archaeological Society. Many of the pages are now available to view on line.
2   Hasted (1797) The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 2